Cinco de Mayo

On May 5th we celebrate Cinco de Mayo because that is when Mexico defeated the French army during the Battle of Puebla on May 5th, 1862. Cinco de Mayo officially celebrates the anniversary of the victory by Mexican forces over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. It is not the anniversary of the defeat and expulsion of the French forces by the Mexicans. Cinco de Mayo is also not the day Mexico celebrates its independence which is actually on September 16. Cinco de Mayo is seen as a day to celebrate culture and achievements of people with a Mexican background who live in the United States. On that day, there are businesses promoting Mexican services and goods, like food, drinks, and music. One of the largest Cinco de Mayo celebrations are in cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, Phoenix, Denver, El Paso, and other parts of the USA’s south-western regions. Banners are hung and schools organize lessons and special events to educate people about the culture of Americans of Mexican descent. In some areas, celebrations of regional Mexican music and dancing are held. Although this holiday celebrates a part of Mexican history and I am Mexican, I do not usually celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Cinco de Mayo seems to be celebrated more in the US than it is in Mexico. I usually celebrate September 16 instead because it is when Mexico gained its independence. Although I do not celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I believe the US should continue to celebrate it because it does celebrate part of the Mexican culture in a way.

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/cinco-de-mayo